Monday, April 27, 2009

Take A Hike!

Okay...don't mind if I do! Next week I'm going to take an opportunity I have to hike along the Katy Trail - yippee! Not only will this give me a chance to spend several refreshing weeks outdoors, it will also give me an idea of how prepared/unprepared I am for my planned hike of the Appalachian Trail. Of course, there is a sizable difference between the two trails - the Katy Trail runs approximately 225 miles across the state of Missouri (USA), while the Appalachian Trail stretches a good 2100+ miles from Maine through Georgia...I'm looking forward to both! (I'll have more to say about my hike along the Appalachian Trail as that time draws near)

I will have somebody moderate comments for me while I'm away and I will even have a "report from the field" posted while I'm gone. Amazing, huh? Who knows, by the time I get back I might even have something worthwhile to talk about for a change! (not likely)

Gracias to the following kind people who took the Spanish quiz last week:
kathcom | Marsha | Libby | mon ami Rob-ours | Aunty Helpful Dictator | the sweet, lovely and talented woman who blogs | Julie

I was surprised that only 7 people "participated," but this makes giving shout-outs easier since most of those who did are people I already link to anyway. I know a couple readers thought it was a real quiz on their knowledge of the Spanish language, but had they just went ahead with it anyway they might have gotten a laugh or two. Maybe alot more were thinking the same thing? I had asked one final question about rating My Webbed Feat and had a few more surprises. Some quiz-takers had very low opinions of the content of my posts (hmmf! - well, I never!); everybody seemed to like the widget I keep in the sidebar (although nobody seems to be listening to the music in it very often); the fancy and interactive scrollboxes I like to use do occasionally make it difficult to read text along the edges (I had kinda been noticing this myself); and perhaps I should have called the 'quiz' a 'questionnaire' (jazz up this blog with a little class). I really get a kick out of putting these surveys/quizzes/questionnaires together, so I'm glad I found Survey Monkey!

Hopefully I have endeared myself enough to everyone to get away with a few weeks of hiking without losing any readers - nay, not readers, but friends rather.....
~

8 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

wow, mike, have a great time!! i'm too much of a city girl to want to go hiking or anything...i never wanted to go camping when i was married (there was no place to plug in a curling iron...). lol, naahh, i'm just spoiled, i like cable tv & city water & sidewalks, etc...but you have fun!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

You have all these lovely trails to hike, I'm seriously envious. How many months is it going to take you to hike the Appalachian Trail?

Have fun, dear buddy. Stay safe! (And don't scare the bears out of their wits.)

3:57 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Thank you lady friends! :-) I hope I have fun - it's supposed to begin raining just about the time I want to get started, naturally...(heehee no pun intended).

It will be nice just to get away for awhile, and all those amenities I'll be doing without will seem even nicer once I get back.

I could walk the A.T. in 6 months or so, according to what I've heard & read, but I plan to spend at least a year doing it. I'm easily distracted, so every shiny little rock on the way will probably get me off track for a day or two. I won't scare the bears, but perhaps I'll give them something to paws and reflect on fur awhile har,har,har......

I'll post at least once more this week before I hit the trail.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

well, mike, take pictures for us, ok? my brother has a condo in arizona, & he's gonna ride his motorcycle back next week!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Terra Shield said...

That sounds awesome. Have fun on the trail :)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I do plan to post some pics - starting to worry about the weather here,though - I love being out in the rain, but it's not as fun when it rains for days and days...

11:10 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

...but you have webbed feet!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Now that's funny!

:-)

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home